We are excited to introduce you to our nourishment team and to share some of their favorite recipes. Our first recipe comes from Casa Verde nutritionist Jacqueline Stone, MS, RD, LD/N just in time for a Cinco de Mayo celebration. We hope you enjoy and make sure to send us your favorite recipes here if you would like to share them with our readers.
Total Time: 30 minutes (prep: 10 minutes + cooking: 20 minutes)
Yield: 4 serving
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast (can also use ground turkey or ground meat)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas, available in dairy aisle of market
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or pepper jack
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Preheat large skillet over medium high heat eat and add 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, and red onions. Brown the meat for 5 minutes and add taco sauce with stewed or fire roasted tomatoes. Toss in the black beans and corn. Heat the mixture for 2-3 minutes and season with a pinch of salt.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Cut spinach tortillas in half for layering. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12-15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Top with scallions, guacamole, corn, and diced tomatoes. Enjoy the lasagna as is, or with a side of tortilla chips.